Does Medicare Cover Foot Doctors
Does Medicare Cover Foot Doctors?
Foot care is one of those things that tends to be overlooked until a big problem comes up. The truth is that foot problems can not only lead to mobility concerns and pain, but they can also be indicative of larger health issues like diabetes and cardiovascular problems. This is why it’s important to not only pay attention to the health of your feet, but also to address foot care health concerns as soon as possible.
Can any doctor address foot care issues?
Although most primary care physicians can diagnose common foot care problems, a foot doctor (podiatrist) is often needed to tackle larger health concerns surrounding the feet. This is a type of specialist who focuses on the details of the inner workings of the feet and how the feet interact with the rest of the body in terms of both internal and external structure. A podiatrist may also work with a physical therapist and surgical professionals to create comprehensive treatment plans to alleviate ailments like bunions, bone spurs and other foot health issues that require more intensive intervention.
Does Medicare cover foot doctors?
Medicare does provide coverage for foot doctor services under Medicare Part B, the outpatient benefit. Services covered include exams and diagnostic testing as well as care for injuries and diseases. Many genetic conditions that lead to deformities and require surgical correction are also covered. Medicare Part B generally requires the Medicare recipient to pay 20% of the cost of care while Medicare covers the remaining 80%. This is after your deductible is met, if applicable, and assumes your premium payments are current.
If foot care services are prescribed during a hospital stay, Medicare Part A would provide coverage for services since this is the inpatient benefit portion of the program. This may change, however, if a podiatrist or other specialist needs to be brought in from outside of the hospital’s staff to administer care. In such a case, the podiatrist may bill separately. This will likely result in Medicare Part B providing coverage instead of Medicare Part A.
Medications that are prescribed to address foot care health concerns may be covered by Medicare Part D as long as you opt for this coverage, the medications are available for purchase from a retail pharmacy and you are meant to administer the medications yourself at home. Medicare does not cover over-the-counter medications like topical creams or ointments for foot health.
Does Medicare Advantage cover foot doctors?
Medicare Advantage will provide the same level of coverage as Original Medicare, but you may be able to receive additional services through a Medicare Advantage plan. While Original Medicare does not cover the cost of over-the-counter treatments for foot issues, a Medicare Advantage plan provider may offer special discounts or reimbursement programs when you purchase products from specific manufacturers or retailers.
You may also be able to receive additional benefits through Medicare Advantage, including access to fitness programs designed to work with people who suffer from foot problems. Each plan and provider are unique, however, so in order to know what you’re entitled to, speak with your Medicare Advantage plan manager for details.