What Does Medicare Supplement Plan G Cover
What Does Medicare Supplement Plan G Cover?
Plan G is one of the most popular Medicare Supplement, or Medigap, plans. What benefits make Plan G so appealing to recipients with Original Medicare? Some individuals with Original Medicare are concerned with the potential for overwhelming out-of-pocket costs. Without an out-of-pocket maximum limit, individuals with Original Medicare may incur high medical bills if an unexpected medical event or chronic condition comes up.
Medigap policies are sold by private insurance companies and may help cover the expenses, such as copayments and coinsurance, not covered by Original Medicare Parts A and B. Plan F was discontinued for new enrollees on January 1, 2020, so many people considering a comprehensive Medigap plan are looking at the costs and coverage provided by Plan G. (Keep in mind, if you had Plan F before January 1, 2020, you will likely be able to keep your coverage.)
Comparing Medigap Plan G coverage to Medigap Plan F
On many fronts, Plan G is similar to Plan F. Plan G offers a lot of value for Medicare beneficiaries that are looking for a small annual deductible. After the deductible, Plan G will provide full coverage for all Medicare coverage gaps. Plan G will pay for your coinsurance, copays and hospital deductible. It will cover the 20% that Original Medicare Part B won’t cover.
In fact, Plan G will cover nearly everything that Plan F will, except for the deductible on Part B. Medigap plans are no longer allowed to cover the Part B deductible.
What are the services that Plan G covers?
Plan G helps pay for inpatient hospital costs, like:
- Skilled nursing care
- Blood transfusions
- Hospice care
Plan G will also cover outpatient services like lab work, doctor visits, DME (durable medical equipment), diabetic supplies, ambulance, x-rays, surgeries and a lot more.
Original Medicare will pay first, followed by Plan G which will pay the remainder of costs after your annual deductible is met. Additionally, Medicare Supplement Plan G offers as much as $50,000 in emergency benefits for foreign travel.
Medigap Plan G offers a small deductible and big savings
Medigap Plan G will cover the Medicare gaps, minus the annual deductible for Part B. For 2021, the Part B deductible is $203. Hospital stays will be fully covered. It will even cover the hospital deductible, which in 2021 is over $1,480.
After that, Plan G will cover all of the expenses that remain. Medicare pays 80% of the outpatient costs and the Medicare Supplement plan pays the remaining 20%.
If you’re just staring out researching Medicare Supplement plans, make sure you read and fully understand what Original Medicare covers before choosing the Medicare Supplement plan that’s right for you. Keep in mind, you may not purchase a Medigap plan if you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan.